Major building works around Eigg’s pier area.
From October 4th 2021 the buildings known as An Laimhrig at the head of Eigg’s two piers are being redeveloped to create extended and much improved facilities for residents and visitors. This means while Isle of Eigg Shop is OPEN as normal, Galmisdale Bay Cafe and Bar, Eigg Adventures, and Eigg’s Craft Shop will be CLOSED.
We are sorry for the inconvenience this will cause some of our visitors, but hope you understand closing these businesses while the building work takes place was our only option.
Public toilets and showers are available in our new Wash House called Taigh Nighe and Eigg’s Camping Pods are open and available for booking.
An Laimhrig is Gaelic for anchorage or safe haven, a perfect name for a community building where islanders and visitors come together. It’s where our ferry arrives, where we shop, share news, and welcome our guests.
Eigg’s population and visitor numbers have doubled since An Laimhrig was built in 1998. Its shop, post office, café, craft shop, adventure business, toilets and office have served our community well. But as users have increased, An Laimhrig has reached bursting point. To meet demand and secure a future for Eigg’s young people, Eigg is investing in vital island infrastructure like An Laimhrig.
Working with WT Architecture, Eigg’s community has created the new An Laimhrig shown here. Our vision incorporates the needs and ideas of residents as well as visitors. We wanted to make our shop, café and craft shop bigger, adding light and space for all. New small business units and covered outside space. More room for Eigg Adventures to hire their bikes and kayaks from. Safe spaces for children to play, and new displays to share Eigg’s story and help people explore our island.
Eigg is working towards carbon net zero by 2030. We’ve chosen a heating system that uses local wood, supporting our island wood fuel business as well as reducing carbon emissions. Creating more toilets and showers has meant thinking carefully about how we use water. Using less, recycling more, are priorities.
From the very big, like generating more electricity for our island grid, to small things like improving signage, we’ve been planning the new An Laimhrig for six years.
We look forward to An Laimhrig opening in summer 2022. Thank you to everyone who’s got us this far; our amazing community, funders, contractors, but especially to An Laimhrig’s businesses and users. Big changes like doubling the size of the original An Laimhrig building and adding new facilities don’t come without disruption. While we’re trying hard to maintain business as usual, please bear with us if some things are a bit out of kilter.
Tapadh leat, thank you, for your patience and continuing support.
Please ensure that if you are planning on visiting our island you check all the guidance available at your time of travel to ensure that you can travel to Eigg from the area you live on the Visit Scotland website.
To reduce the risk of COVID-19 being brought into island communities the Scottish Government is encouraging anyone planning to travel to a Scottish Island to TEST BEFORE YOU TRAVEL. You can order rapid lateral flow tests (LFT) for home delivery anywhere in the UK by clicking here. The tests should arrive within 24-48 hours.
Please test THREE DAYS BEFORE YOU PLAN TO TRAVEL and then AGAIN ON THE DAY OF YOUR DEPARTURE. If you are positive, this would allow you to self-isolate and book a PCR test. If you develop COVID-19 symptoms, you must self-isolate and book a PCR test through your Health Board/Trust.
Please note that if your LFT result is negative, this is not a guarantee that you do not have COVID-19. You must continue to follow national and local restrictions, including FACTS guidance.
All the businesses will be following the guidance and protocols laid down for safe reopening by the government and social distancing will be in place where required.
To help keep everyone safe and ensure your visit/stay on Eigg is enjoyable we would ask that you:
- Respect the changes that the Tourism Businesses here, have put in place, to protect both you, their staff and themselves.
- Please ensure that you take all precautions while on the island to observe social distancing, hand washing/sanitising procedures and mask wearing when required.
- We are fortunate that our wee island shop has managed to stay open throughout the pandemic but in line with social distancing guidance they can only accept 5 customers at a time. To help the shop’s smooth running we ask that whenever possible you place orders by email for delivery to your holiday accommodation. Orders can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Avoid busy areas, whenever possible. The pier area can become quite busy at boat times with deliveries and other goods arriving so please try and avoid this area at these times if possible.
- Advise your host immediately if you or your family show symptoms of Covid 19, either during, or in the 10 days after your visit.
Eigg residents and the all the tourism businesses here, will do our part by:
- Following Government Covid 19 Guidelines on Health and Safety.
- Observing social distancing, hand washing/sanitising and mask wearing rules.
- Advising you should there be a Covid 19 outbreak anywhere on the island during your stay.
To find out what the level of where you live in is, and what you can and can’t do, click HERE
Thank you from everyone on Eigg.
Use EasyFundraising to give a donation to Eigg through your other online purchases to some of the big retailers, at NO cost to you!
Buy from our local creative and other businesses through the rather wonderful Isle20.com
Want some music from Eigg? Check out Lost Map , Gabe McVarish, Metta Music, Massacre Cave or Gaelic supergroup Daimh‘s online shops for music, subscriptions and other stylish merchandise (including hats and bandanas for all occasions!).