Good to know…

There’s a few things that are good to know or think about before you come to Eigg.  Here are some of the answers to questions we’re regularly asked.  If you have a question that’s not been answered, please contact us. 

Is there a SHOP?  Yes, the Isle of Eigg Shop

Is there somewhere I can EAT?  Yes, from cafe bar to restaurant or home-baking with a view, it’s all on our Food and Drink page.

Can I bring a CAR, camper van or motor bike?  No, island residents only, unless you are a registered disabled person. 

Can I hire a BIKE?  Yes, from Eigg Adventures 

How long does it take to WALK across the island?  Eigg’s main road is about four and a half miles long, so depending how fast you walk, it can take between an hour and half and two hours.

Can I WALK anywhere?  Yes, but be mindful of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.  If you find a gate closed, please make sure to close it after you. You can download a copy of the outdoor access code here. Remember, if you’re walking between October and April the days are much shorter, so time your walks to make the most of the daylight.

Are there MIDGES?  Yes, we have midges between late May and early September.  They can be bad in sheltered, woodland areas or on still evenings, but generally the breeze keeps them at bay.

How often is the ferry CANCELLED?   The ferry is cancelled due to bad weather more in the winter than in the summer, but while it doesn’t happen too often, it’s worth keeping an eye on CalMac’s service status webpage.

How does Eigg generate all it’s own ELECTRICITY?  For information about Eigg Electric, our island electricity grid, click here.

What was the COMMUNITY BUYOUT?  On 12th June 1997, the Isle of Eigg Heritage Trust took ownership of the Isle of Eigg and now manages it on behalf of the Eigg community.  You can find out a bit about the history of the buyout here.

Does Eigg have a DOCTOR?  Yes, but they generally visit only once a week.  For opening hours of the surgery, which has a small pharmacy too, click here.

What should I do in an EMERGENCY?  

Call 111 if:

  • you think you need A&E but its not life or limb threatening
  • you need support with mental health distress
  • you need urgent care and your GP, pharmacy or dental practice is closed

Call 999 if you have:

  • a life or limb threatening emergency
  • signs of a heart attack or stroke
  • difficulty breathing
  • severe bleeding
  • severe injury
  • seizures
  • a severe allergic reaction
  • tried to end your life

Call 999 and ask for Ambulance, explain to the call handler that you are on an island and there is a Coastal Rescue Team on the island who are trained Coastguard Emergency Responder Casualty Care responders (CERCC). Remain calm and await instructions.